Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Thing About Green:


I disagree with Mr. Cole: It is about them, but an often isolated and vilified population should know that the world is watching.

When Mr. Cole says:
If someone can give me one legitimate piece of evidence that wearing green boxers is going to help bring democracy to Iran, so help me I’ll wear plaid from head to toe and shoot for world peace.

~Balloon Juice

He is implying, himself that Democracy needs "bringing" to Iran.

It does not. It will not. Iranians are clearly taking action towards their own individual rights. Therefore, I believe while "greening" does not help "bring" democracy to Iran; it serves as a powerful global message to Iranian citizens that we are watching and hoping for the best.

I agree that yes, it is about Iran, but still; why do we sponsor children in Brazil, send local emergency personnel to disaster areas in other states, or, mail Tastycakes to those who suffer from living too far away from Philly? I want someone to know that I care, so, I greened up not to apply; but to amplify.

No comments:

Post a Comment